Lead Java Developer Resume Tips
Over 4.2 million software developers were working in the US in 2019.
Across the globe, 26.4 million developers are working, with expected growth meaning there’ll be 40 million by 2030.
How does that affect you?
You’re going to need a standout resume to cut through the noise.
How? That’s what we’re here for.
Here, we’re giving you a great lead java developer resume example along with what you need to know about java projects for resumes, plus more besides.
Career Summary on a Java Architect Resume - Writing Tips
To make your Java developer resume summary shine, you must:
- Highlight your strongest traits
- Demonstrate your past achievements
- Detail all your skills and experience
Java developers with a 10 years experience resume, shouldn’t be writing:
A bit bland, isn’t it?
You’re not telling the recruiter what you can actually do or what you’ve built before.
Add details to your core java developer resume’s summary section - it’s OK to be proud of your work!
Check out this example:
Show what you can do in the summary section of your java developer resume, adding in facts and figures where you can.
Doing this will help take your resume to the top of the pile.
Still need help on how to list programming skills on resume? Our free resume templates are ready for you, just fill in the gaps and grab the eye of the recruiter instantly.
Work Experience Section for a Lead Java Developer Resume
On a full stack java developer resume where do you think you should focus your efforts?
As you guessed, it’s your professional experience section.
The key to this section is not to add resume responsibilities, but to focus on your job deliverables.
Add your roles and responsibilities of Java developer in a project in this way:
May 2017 – June 2020
Code Orange, Boston, MA
- Designed and rolled out a new authentication process using LDAP API to enhance account security for Money Box
- Managed JUnit testing across projects resulting in 90% code coverage
- Identified and resolved code inefficiencies on client projects
- Integrated Stripe API into business online banking facility for Trader Bank, delivered two weeks ahead of schedule
The most important factor when choosing what to include is to keep it relevant to the Java developer job description for the role you want.
How to List Java Projects for Resume
You’re probably also wondering, "I’ve got loads of java projects to put on my resume, how do I do that?"
Following your work experience, add a section called "Key Projects" and list the project task, duration, and what you contributed.
Need an example? Here’s our mock-up:
Duration: One month
Technologies Used: Java, C++
- Allocated code to developers to integrate the invoicing API for existing bank clients
- Managed testing of deliverables, coordinating with key stakeholders
- Delivered working product two weeks ahead of schedule without major downtime or incidents for client systems
Pro-TipAny experience is good experience, even if it was a part-time, one-off, or freelance gig. Employers want to see exactly what you can do rather than just words on a page and side gigs or your own website shows your dedication. Contributions to communities like GitHub are also seen favorably.
Skill Sets Resume Section Tips for Senior Java Developers
How to list programming skills on resume is crucial - there are lots of skills and languages you’ll know with being proficient in Java just one of a deep stack.
To start, check out the job description carefully and pick the skills that they want that you’re most proud of.
Add these into a "Key Skills" section, and further drill it down into two sub-sections.
Use one part for your soft skills, the other for hard skills.
Should you bother with soft skills as a developer? Definitely.
Still not sure? Here’s some of the soft skillset you probably have as a senior Java developer:
- Analytical skills: you understand the needs of users and how to make software to fulfill them
- Interpersonal skills: you collaborate with designers, developers, and stakeholders and have to communicate about the end product to clients
- Detail-oriented: you work across different pieces of code and spot tiny errors that cause glitches, you know how to get things working accurately every time
- Problem-solving skills: your role is to take a problem and create a solution, troubleshooting issues along the way
On to the hard skills.
It’s a common question - how to list programming languages on resume?
They deserve a separate section for you to list the ones you work with.
Using these programming languages:
This is what they should look like on your resume:
- Fluent in Java
- A decade at the forefront of fintech web app development
- Worked with MVC, RESTful, and JDBC
- 2 years working with Java GUI frameworks
- Written Java code is clean and concise, in-depth knowledge of Java class loading mechanism
Best Certifications for a Java Developer Resume: 5 Years Experience
Experience is great, but you want to demonstrate you’re up to date with the latest java technologies by getting some pertinent certifications, too.
For a Java developer, Oracle certifications are the most common and best-recognized.
Oracle’s Java certification has four different levels in their structure.
They look like this:
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA)
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Oracle Certified Expert (OCE)
- Oracle Certified Master (OCM)
Having at least one will have your recruiter immediately impressed.
OCMJEA (Oracle Certified Master Java EE Enterprise Architect) is the highest level, and most valued Java certification you can get when working with Java. It certifies that you have the skills needed to develop applications at the enterprise level.
Now you’re thinking “how to add certification in resume sample?”
Read on for the answer...
You’ll need to add a new header to list your certifications:
OCMJEA Certified Java Programmer
- The most important certifications should be upfront, right after your name and resume summary, or included near your work experience
- Add any extra certifications in between your work experience and education sections
Education Section and Where to Learn Programming Skills Resume
As a software developer, you’ll probably have a bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering, or something similar.
Here’s some inspiration for your education section:
BS in Software Engineering
Business analytics, programming languages, database modeling, UI/UX design
Pro-TipAs in our Java developer resume example, we advise you to only note your GPA if you got more than 3.5.
Writing a Java Developer Cover Letter
A great cover letter should outline exactly what makes you a highly-skilled Java developer.
This is a handy example to refer to:
It’s a great touch to explain why the company fits with your background and experience, both so that you’ll fit well for the job but also to show you’ve read the job listing properly.
Java Developer Job Outlook: Useful Statistics
The BLS (US bureau of labor statistics) says that software developers should be seeing expanded opportunities since there is such a high demand for new software with new products.
Check out the Industries with the highest levels of employment in software development:
|Industry||Employment||Percent of industry employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Computer Systems Design and Related Services||472,180||21.72||$52.52||$109,240|
|Management of Companies and Enterprises||69,940||2.84||$52.35||$108,880|
|Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services||48,050||14.29||$52.83||$109,890|
|Other Information Services||40,670||12.53||$60.52||$125,890|
What’s more, software development employment will increase by 22%, a rate much higher than average, if predictions are accurate for the period 2019-2029.
As demand for software increases, so will job opportunities for software developers, with the finance and computer equipment manufacturing sectors seeing the biggest uptick in need.
In terms of where to be looking for high salaries for Java developers, these are the states you should look at:
|State||Employment||Employment per thousand jobs||Location quotient||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|District of Columbia||5,880||8.12||0.85||$57.01||$118,580|
Make it the obvious conclusion that you’re the best senior Java developer for the job by using our purposely designed senior Java developer resume sample template.
Take advantage of our free resume writing services and business professional resume in minutes!